In California, the requirements for owning and operating a motorcycle are:
- A valid driver’s license with a motorcycle endorsement (M1) or a separate motorcycle-only license (M2).
- A registered and insured motorcycle.
- A helmet that meets California Department of Transportation (DOT) standards.
- A functioning muffler to reduce noise pollution.
- Properly working lights for night riding.
There are also specific laws for lane splitting, which is the practice of riding a motorcycle between lanes of slower moving or stopped vehicles. It is legal in California, but riders must follow certain guidelines. More importantly, motorcycle owners are required to have liability insurance to cover damages or injuries they may cause to others in the event of an accident. The minimum coverage required is:
- $15,000 for injury or death of one person.
- $30,000 for injury or death of more than one person.
- $5,000 for property damage.
It is important to note that these are the minimum required coverage amounts and it is recommended to have higher coverage to fully protect oneself in the event of a significant accident. Additionally, some lenders may require full coverage insurance if the motorcycle is being financed.
Choosing the right coverage is important. Motorcycle accidents can be devastating and are often fatal or result in serious injury. Here are some statistics on motorcycle accidents nationwide:
- In 2020, there were 4,985 motorcyclist fatalities, a 9% decrease from the previous year.
- Motorcyclists are about 28 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a crash per vehicle mile traveled.
- In 2020, about 57% of motorcycle accident fatalities involved collisions with another vehicle, while 40% were single-vehicle crashes.
- Alcohol impairment was a factor in 30% of motorcycle accidents in 2020.
- Approximately 75% of motorcycle accidents result in injury or death, compared to 20% for passenger cars.
It is important to note that these statistics highlight the need for riders to practice safe riding habits, wear appropriate protective gear, and avoid risky behaviors such as riding under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
The average premium for motorcycle insurance in California can vary depending on several factors such as the type of motorcycle, the rider’s age and driving record, and the level of coverage desired. However, according to recent data, the average premium for motorcycle insurance in California ranges from $150 to $300 per year.
It is important to note that this is just an estimate and your actual premium may be higher or lower based on your specific circumstances and the insurance provider you choose. There are several factors that can affect the premium of a motorcycle insurance policy in California, including:
- Type of motorcycle: The make, model, and age of the motorcycle can impact the premium. High-performance or high-value motorcycles may have higher premiums.
- Driving record: A rider’s driving record, including past accidents and traffic violations, can impact the premium. A clean driving record may result in lower premiums.
- Age and gender: Younger and male riders are typically seen as higher risk and may have higher premiums.
- Location: The location where the motorcycle is stored and ridden can impact the premium, with higher crime or accident rates potentially leading to higher premiums.
- Coverage level: The amount and type of coverage selected can impact the premium, with higher coverage levels resulting in higher premiums.
- Deductible: The deductible, or the amount a policyholder must pay before insurance kicks in, can impact the premium, with higher deductibles leading to lower premiums.
It’s important to note that these are general factors that may impact premium and that specific insurance providers may have different considerations in setting premiums. It is recommended to compare quotes from multiple insurance providers to find the best coverage and rates for your individual needs and circumstances.
With INSZONE, you can enjoy peace of mind knowing that you’re covered in the event of an accident, theft, or damage. We offer liability coverage, collision coverage, and comprehensive coverage, as well as additional options such as roadside assistance and personal injury protection.
And, with our competitive rates and commitment to customer service, you can feel confident that you’re getting the best value for your insurance dollars.
Don’t take chances on the road. Protect yourself and your motorcycle with INSZONE Insurance Services. Get your quote today and see the difference!